live your life and smile

Sunday, August 03, 2008

Cell or not to cell

I don't have a cell phone. The only way you can reach me is the phone at my parents' place. But lately, I,ve been thinking about buying a cell phone. I don't really believe in the idea of a cell phone, but here is the reason.(Some of you might ask why I don't believe in them it's because I've seen so much kid having one and cannot even manage it, and I don't like being disturbe when out of the house!)
But here is why:
-My job is an on-call thing. They do call me when someone is sick, have an appointment or has some course(don't remember the real term). I usually get call during the evening. And like most of you know, I'm during karate 3 times a week during that time. And it is usualy the time that they call for work. That would be usefull to them to reach me everywhere(and maybe more$$$$ in my bank account!)
-I do travel a lot by myself, sometimes at night, sometimes on big distance. I'm 26, 5foot3 and 160 pounds. Pretty much anything can happen to me! If my car breaks(it's an 1999 after all), I cannot reach anyone. And even if I'm use to it by now, my gas gage doesn't work well!
So what do you think? So should I get one or not?

Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger Dina Roberts said...

I think you should get one...now that you put that line about "Anything can happen to me".

I don't even know you and now I'm worried about you.

It took me awhile to get used to the whole cell phone thing.

I have one now....had it for awhile.

I hardly use it. I forget to charge it sometimes. But I feel safe having it.

2:52 PM  
Blogger Green-Eyed Momster said...

Oh my gosh! I thought I was the only one on planet Earth without one! I found you through Tex. I have been reading your comments on his old blog for months! My post on GEM was To Post Or Not To Post. I kid you not! I'm thinking about quitting, again!!
As for the cell phone thing, I figure if I ever need help in an emergency, every other person besides me has one so they could let me use theirs or call for help for me.
You are way younger than me though so you might like to have one. My son finds his very amusing!! :)

6:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, I think getting one might be handy.

You can always turn it off when you don't want to be contactable.

That is what I do.

There are so many cheap options to get one now, and they are handy for lots of reasons, but if they become invasive can always be turned off.
It is not my responsibility to be available for anyone to talk with 24/7, so I just turn it off if I don't want to be called. (not that anyone does call me anyway, but I do get some lovely little text messages which make me feel good sometimes. Yay.

8:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

prolly oughta get one!

9:35 PM  
Blogger Jill said...

Dina, I've been thinking a lot about it lately. I take 2hours trip on highway pretty frequently, so...

tracey, when I'm alone, I cannot borrow it from someone. And I don't really like the idea of having car problem in the middle of the night on the highway.

Tripod, that is what make me not buy one until now, not much people call me. And from who might you get those text?

Sage, you are buying?

3:52 AM  
Blogger Riff Dog said...

You should probably have one, but you don't have to be one of those obnoxious people. Personally, I use mine maybe once a week.

4:55 PM  
Blogger Jill said...

Riff, I won't let myself become one! I hate those person! And I would want to hate myself, do I?

4:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home